Peruvian Necktie-type chokes now illegal
In 2013, Yarden Gerbi (ISR) created history by becoming the first Israeli player to win a world title. And she did it in a spectacular fashion, choking her opponent in the final, Clarisse Agbegnenou (FRA) with a largely unknown choke that involved Gerbi using her own jacket skirt.
Judo fans around the world quickly dubbed this the “Gerbi Choke” although some BJJ fans would point out that it’s basically what is known as the Peruvian Necktie.
The IJF would subsequently ban the technique, deeming it dangerous because of the use of the jacket skirt. Judo players being judo players quickly devised new ways to do such a choke without involving the jacket skirt.
One approach involved a headlock that trapped at least one of uke’s arms, making it a kind of sankaku but with the arms rather than the legs. (It’s also commonly referred to as kata-sankaku). After securing that lock, tori would then place on leg on the back of uke’s head and the other on uke’s back, much like how Gerbi did her choke. Since this did not involve the jacket skirt, it was deemed legal. Amandine Buchard (FRA) likes to do this version.
Another approach, involved what is called a “trap choke” where instead of a kata-sankaku, tori takes hold of the back of uke’s collar with one hand and uke’s far lapel with the other. As with the kata-sankaku, one of uke’s arms is trapped. From there, tori would sit down and place one leg on the back of uke’s head and the other on uke’s back. Axel Clerget (FRA) likes to do this version.
Apparently, both these versions are now deemed illegal by the IJF. According to the Arab Judo Referee YouTube Channel, on July 7, 2022, this technique was discussed in a referee’s meeting ahead of the Hungary Grand Slam, and it was decided that it would no longer be allowed. A “matte” would be called once it is applied.
WORLD RANKING LIST MEN
- SURNAME, Name
- 1. RUS Mshvidobadze, Robert 6295
- 2. JPN Takato, Naohisa 5900
- 3. GEO Papinashvili, Amiran 5551
- 4. JPN Nagayama, Ryuju 5510
- 5. KAZ Smetov, Yeldos 4821
- 6. MGL Dashdavaa, Amartuvshin 4253
- 7. UZB Lutfillaev, Sharafuddin 3752
- 8. ESP Garrigós, Francisco 3594
- 9. GEO Chkhvimiani, Lukhumi 3505
- 10. BRA Takabatake, Eric 3340
WORLD RANKING LIST WOMEN
- SURNAME, Name
- 1. FRA Agbegnenou, Clarisse 8150
- 2. SLO Trstenjak, Tina 6090
- 3. JPN Tashiro, Miku 6050
- 4. JPN Nabekura, Nami 5020
- 5. NED Franssen, Juul 4953
- 6. SLO Leski, Andreja 4505
- 7. GER Trajdos, Martyna 4483
- 8. NED Vermeer, Sanne 3632
- 9. CAN Beauchemin-Pinard, Catherine 3631
- 10. CUB Del Toro Carvajal, Maylin 3460